Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to bring identification with me to vote?

Yes. Beginning in the Summer of 2013, the State of Texas requires all voters to present an approved form of photo identification at the polls. Approved Photo IDs include Texas Driver License, Texas Election Identification Certificate, Texas Personal Identification Card, Texas Concealed Handgun License, United States Military Identification Card, United States Citizenship Certificate, United States Passport. For more information, please read the Texas Secretary of State's web article about this requirement.

How do I register to vote?

You can visit the Texas Secretary of State's Office Voter Registration webpage to download an electronic version of the Texas Voter Registration Application. All Voter Registration Applications must be submitted to the Elections Office in person or by mail. To be eligible to vote in an election, your Voter Registration Application must be received or postmarked by the 30th day before the election. The physical address for Denton County is: Denton County Elections Administration, 701 Kimberly Dr, Ste A101, Denton TX 76208. Their mailing address is: Denton County Elections Administration, PO Box 1720, Denton TX 76202.

How do I check to see if I am registered to vote?

To confirm your voter registration, use My Voter Page from the Secretary of State's Office.

How can I change my name or address on my voter registration card?

If you are new to Denton County, you will need to complete a new Voter Registration Application. If you are already registered to vote in Denton, but need to update your name or address, you may do so online via the Texas Office of the Secretary of State Voter Name and Address Changes webpage. Changes must be submitted 30 days before the election.

How do I find out what districts I live in?

To find out which Congressional District, State Senate District, State Representative District, Commissioner Precinct and more that you live in, refer to the voter registration card you receive in the mail from Denton County. You can find your state and federal level representatives online via the Who Represents Me? website.

Where can I find my voting precinct number?

To find your Voting Precinct Number, refer to the voter registration card you receive in the mail from Denton County. You can also get your precinct number online via the Secretary of State's My Voter Page.

Am I eligible to vote by mail?

Registered voters ages 65 or older on Election Day, voters away from the county during both Early Voting and Election Day, and voters limited by disability are among those eligible to vote by mail. For more information on this convenience or to request a Ballot By Mail Application, visit the Ballot by Mail section of the Secretary of State's website. You may request a Ballot By Mail Application beginning January 1st of each year. All requests must be received by the Elections Office no later than 11 days before Election Day.

I am in the Military and based outside of the U.S. How can I vote?

First of all... Thank You for your service! U.S. citizens who live outside of the U.S., including members of our Armed Forces and their families, may vote using the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to request a Ballot By Mail. Visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program's website for more information on this program and to download a FPCA form.

I did not vote in the election this year. Can I vote in the runoff election?

Yes. If you are a registered voter eligible to vote by the date of the Runoff Election, you may vote in the Runoff even if you did not vote in the original election. You cannot, however, vote in one party's Primary Election and the other party's Primary Runoff Election in the same year.

Where can I find an official sample ballot?

You can access the sample ballot specific to your Voting Precinct by selecting Sample Ballot on the Upcoming Election page of the Denton County Elections Office website.

I don't have my Voter Registration Card. What do I do?

You are not required to show you Voter Registration Certificate to vote. However, if you have not received a copy of your current card, you may request a new one from the Denton County Elections Office. Their number is 940.349.3200.